Tuesday, February 14, 2012

SAVIOR OF THE WORLD - 2

CHAPTER TWO – LIGHT IN THE DARKNESS

To be honest, when I heard our ward was putting on the “Savior of the World” production again, I was not going to get involved. Then Dalelyn, my roommate, was asked to be the stage manager. Somehow she managed to drag me along to a practice, and that’s all it took to hook me. I love this production. It is simple and yet so powerful.

I only had a small part in the production. I played one of the townsfolk and then at the end I was one of the angels. As I participated in the practices the Lord gave me little insights that He was there to help me through my troubles. As the scripture reads, “For all this his anger is not turned away, but his hand is stretched out still.” (2 Nephi 15:25) I know now His hand will always be stretched out to welcome me back.

One of my favorite scenes in the play is with the shepherds. Oh wait, first let me back track a little. I have been unhappy with my job for a long time. I feel it is beneath me (I know, sometimes I’m so proud I can’t hardly stand myself). I feel like I have more potential than doing customer service, and it is so frustrating to feel stuck. (Disclaimer: In case my boss or co-workers read this, currently I am very happy with my job.)

In the midst of this frustration, I sat down and listened to the shepherds perform their scene. They weren’t mighty kings. They were lowly sheep herders, and yet angels appeared to them to announce the birth of the Savior of the world. (Chills ran through me every time we practiced that scene) They were instructed to go and tell everyone of this wondrous event. Why? I’m guessing because God knew they could be trusted to perform the task.

As I listened, I realized I needed to change my attitude. It doesn’t matter what position I hold in life. I just need to live so that the Lord will trust me to do what He asks. I am now striving to be as the shepherds of old tending my “little flock” and preparing for the Lord to call. I know I won’t always succeed, but I will keep trying until the end.

The play ran for two nights. The first night the song between Zacharias and Elizabeth hit me like a wrecking ball. I’ve been listening to that song for three months (six months if you include last years production), and never paid attention until that performance. Zacharias and Elizabeth have a duet entitled “I’ll Give God Forever”. They sing about the things they’ve wanted from life (i.e. a child), but they were willing to give up their wants to do God’s will. The words say, “I’ll give God forever to make me what I am… I’ll give God forever, but not to do my will… I’ll give God forever and then give one day more…”

As I listened, the thought that came to me was, "Why not?"

No comments:

Post a Comment